Items for the Class¶
Hardware (hardly free)¶
- A computer: laptop or desktop. No tablet PCs as a main computational resource. Better if you already have a linux-based one or Mac. For a Windows-based PC, you need to install some packages to run a linux-based operating system on your PC. Please consult with me or TA if you have Windows PCs only or none.
Softwares (mostly free)¶
Essential software (required, free):
- Linux/Unix or Mac OS X with Xcode (no Windows please!).
- Compilers for Fortran 90, C/C++ (e.g., gfortran, gcc)
- Debuggers (gdb , lldb, etc.)
- Python and its scientific libraries (e.g., Anaconda, NumPy, SciPy, Matplotlib, etc.)
- Version control system (e.g., Git or SVN)
- Text editors (traditional ones: GNU emacs, aquamacs, vi, vim; modern fancy ones: sublime, atom, etc.)
- LaTex packages (texshop, LaTeXiT)
Extra software (optional, free or commercial):
Others (absolutely free)¶
- Most importantly, your passion and energy to learn new things.